Friday, October 07, 2005

Health Warning

A recent report released and covered in the BMJ suggests that SUVs should carry a health warning for pedestrians. Before I go on I must admit to a vested interest here as I own a SUV.
Whilst I welcome the analysis as to why a pedestrian impact with a SUV is more likely to cause death, I am a little suspicious of the conclusion that they should carry health warnings. I require extra information before I can agree with this idea, whilst leaving aside a discussion of the benefit of such a system. Firstly on there own analysis a HGV should also carry health warnings, which is not mentioned and I wonder why. More importantly I would like to compare car types for the following information; what proportion are involved in accidents with pedestrians , at what speeds do these accidents occur, and also what percentage of accidents result in fatalities. My suspicion is that many SUVs are driven at slower speeds and with more care, but I have seen enough idiots in SUVs to know this may not be the case. The final area I would like explored is the reduction in fatalities and serious injury to the occupants of SUVs in accidents and to see if on balance SUVs are safer.

4 comments :

Barry Thomas said...

I too saw this bit of 'news'. And I too suspect a hidden agenda. There seems to be a concerted effort to attack SUV's. Every time we hear a discussion on pollution, or oil shortage, SUV's come in for a rant. If pollution is a worry, cut down on the sales of holidays abroad. ration them. SUV's are often used by country people enjoying country puruits and often holiday in this country. Countryside - hidden agenda?

AJ Thomas said...

One of the criticisms of SUV drivers is that they don't always live in the country, which I don't. Yet I think their worth is beyond simple off-roading. As for pollution, my SUV is as economical as any car we've had, which says little for our other cars.

Barry Thomas said...

You don't live in the country?! You gas guzzling acccident causing ***@@***!!.

Barry Thomas said...

I think that as a whole, SUV drivers drive more slowly than other car drivers. They don't buy a car for the image of speed, so don't drive them as if they were on a racetrack. I can't think of one that has tailgated me.