I don't personally listen to either BBC Radio One or Two, but I still dislike this stupid BBC bashing that keeps cropping up. There is a constant idea that a nationally owned company, being successful and making money for the entire nation is bad, and that privately owned companies are good.
The report says that the two radio stations should be sold off because they hamper the commercial sector. So how will having them in the commercial sector help? Only if they think being commercial will damage the service they currently offer to the listeners, leading to a decline in audience. In particular they will have to use adverts, which is one of the key reasons they are popular, I think this is what they mean by "level the competitive playing field".
What it will also do is prevent the BBC maximising any commercial funds it can raise on the back of the radio stations success, which the BBC could put in to reducing the licence fee.
No comments :
Post a Comment