Friday, August 25, 2006

Confluence

I noticed an interesting confluence of stories today.

Firstly I saw a tech-security expert suggesting we use anti-terror techniques to defeat terrorists, techniques that reduce the terror felt by the public.

Then I saw that 72% of people think the governments policies are making us less safe, and a virtually non-existent 1% think it is actually working and making us more safe.

A related comment from Imran Khan suggesting a change in tactics for the war on terror.

And finally, the news that Ryanair were to sue for loss of earnings due to the recent terror alerts.


What particularly struck me about the Ryanair story was that they felt they had a legal case they might win and that given my assumption that they are motivated by business needs, the fact that they don't think this will be bad publicity. It seems incredible that a company will attempt to show in law, that the governments anti-terror policy is ineffective, and perhaps even counter productive, but it seems that a change is gonna come, and the answer is blowin' in the wind.

No comments :