Friday, July 28, 2006

Guardian: IE7 will come on auto-update

I forsee a problem, there are many sites that do not work with IE7 even some that work with Firefox/Safari, so when everyone gets IE7 automatically there will be confused users and sites losing customers. As a Windows/Firefox and Mac/Safari user I will be an amused bystander.

1 comment :

The Cam MC said...

I have a story on this one. I myself installed the beta versoin of IE7, not realising it wiped IE6. Anyway, I installed it so that I could test the CRM on the new broswer hoping to iron out any problems before the whole world got upgraded, because as you say, somethings that work fine on IE6 don't work on IE7. However, I was scolded by our programmers for taking such a forward thinking step and they subsequently refused to believe any errors I reported claiming it was because I have IE7. Defeated and demoralised I decided to uninstall IE7 beta but could find no way of doing it, even worse on my PC I have permission to install applications but I don't have permission to use the Add/Install commands, so I couldn't remove the beta and I was not able to install IE6. My friendly IT guy recently left and I didn't dare ask the regular IT people to do the relevant tasks in case they took away all my permissions rendering my PC as nothing more than screen with a keyboard. So now I lie to the programmers about what program I use and double check everything on an old PC with IE6. So between our IT dept and Microsft I feel well and truly sandwiched by foresight and inspiration ;-)